- Keep your freezer inside your home where the temperature is controlled and away from your hot water heater or the furnace. When the temperature shifts drastically it causes your freezer to work over-time. Which is a main cause of frost.
- Never overstock your freezer or leave it running when empty or close to empty. Be sure to divide up larger packages into smaller and preferably airtight, packages. You'll find that smaller packages will freeze much quicker and with less frost build-up. Don't forget to dry each of the packages before you put them into your freezer because moisture is the enemy when it comes to your freezer and preventing frost.
- Be sure to keep the freezer door closed and not keep it open for long periods of time. Doing that will help to maintain the proper temperature inside your freezer. You should always make sure the door is properly closed after each time that you use it.
- Never put hot items into your freezer. If you want to freeze your leftovers just wait until it has cooled down to room temperature. This will help to prevent frost building up in the freezer from the steam. It will also prevent frost-bitten food which happens due to moisture.
- Keep your freezer gasket seal clean by wiping it with a soapy cloth or sponge and if you see any mold you can use a little bleach to kill it. If the gasket is torn or worn down, get it replaced by a skilled appliance repair technician.
- The coils on the back of the freezer are there to help the unit keep from overheating so be sure to block the air flow by pushing the freezer up tight against the wall or stacking things around the freezer either.
- Try to keep the temperature thermostat at just below 0 degrees Fahrenheit for optimal efficiency.
Frost should only be an issue with an older freezer that is not one of the frost-free models. If you have a newer frost free model and are still having issues with frost build-up then you need to consult an appliance repair technician right away because that could be a sign of more serious issues.
We service kitchen and laundry room appliance issues all over Bertram, Burnet, Marble Falls, Liberty Hill, Granite Shoals and Georgetown areas..
Call us today if you need help!